Overseas Students

Leo Cussen Centre for Law has a long history of making overseas students welcome, ensuring a productive and enjoyable experience.

If you are on a student visa and have graduated in law from an approved Australian university, you are eligible for onsite Practical Legal Training at Leo Cussen. If you are on another type of visa you may also be eligible to apply for the online PLT course, subject to the conditions of your visa.

It is expected that international students will have greater English language proficiency than that required of entrants to undergraduate law courses. As a guide, overseas students are expected to have a proficiency of greater than 6.5 overall, with no individual band less than 6.0, as determined by the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Please note that Leo Cussen does not engage agents for the purposes of recruiting overseas students.

Before making an application, please refer to:

Course Dates and Course Fees

Important Information for Applicants, particularly for details on selection criteria and procedures


Other links

Overseas Student Health Cover

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Legislative Framework

Living and Studying in Australia



Leo Cussen Centre for Law is registered to provide its Onsite Practical Legal Training Course (PLT) to Overseas Students. The Centre’s CRICOS provider code is: 02224A and the CRICOS Onsite Course Code: 039593D.

Our Overseas Students FAQs

  • I have completed my law degree in Australia, am I eligible for the PLT?

    You are eligible to apply for either the onsite or online course depending on your visa conditions. In our onsite course offered in Melbourne, we find the professional placement for international students. See item 7 – Will Leo Cussen help me apply for my visa for more details. The Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice is a CRICOS approved course with provider number 02224A.

  • I obtained my degree overseas, am I eligible for the PLT?

    Any applicant whose LLB degree or equivalent is from outside
    Australia must have their qualifications for admission approved by
    the relevant Law Admissions Board in that state before applying
    for the course.
    Contact the relevant Law Admissions Board in each state.
    For example: www.lawadmissions.vic.gov.au or phone
    +61 3 9604 2451.

  • I am an overseas practitioner, am I eligible for the PLT?

    You must obtain a determination from the relevant Law Admissions Board in each state relating to any requirements for admission to the legal profession. If such a determination requires you to complete a course of Practical Legal Training, then you may apply to Leo Cussen Centre for Law to complete the PLT.

  • Can I study the online course?

    If you are on a bridging visa or another temporary residence visa with no restrictions on study then you may study the online course. It depends on the conditions of your visa and you should check this with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection if unsure or seek advice from a referral below at item 7. Leo Cussen
    checks the visa at the application stage.

    Overseas students on a Student Visa are only eligible to study the full-time onsite course. This means that you would be required to do the full-time face-to-face (onsite) PLT.

  • Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?

    Australian Citizens and applicants on a Permanent Humanitarian Visa are eligible to apply for FEE-HELP

  • Will Leo Cussen arrange my Overseas Student Health Cover?

    You will need to arrange this yourself or you can find out more information at:

  • When is the full tuition fee due and can I pay via instalments?

    You are required to pay a $500 part tuition fee within one week of acceptance of your offer to secure your position. The balance of tuition fee is due 2 weeks prior to the Course start date. You may pay the course fee by instalments. However, an application for permission to pay the fee by instalments must be made in writing to the Director PLT no later than two weeks before the commencement of the course.

  • Will Leo Cussen help me apply for my visa?

    Once you pay your $500 part tuition and sign the overseas student agreement we will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) which will enable you to apply for or extend your visa. When an overseas student (ie a student on an overseas student visa) or an applicant on a bridging visa or other temporary residence visa applies to do the Leo Cussen PLT and accepts an offer of a place, Leo Cussen issues the COE and reports that student via the PRISMS reporting system to the Commonwealth Department of Education and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. If the student is completing their law degree, they will be on a current visa. They can finish their degree and commence Leo Cussen PLT and then apply for a new student visa for the PLT based on the COE.

    We can offer advice about our course and assistance in what is best for you via onsite or online, however, you are required to arrange your visa yourself. There are also the following resources available that can to assist you:

    • Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) for details of registered migration agents who can help: www.mara.gov.au/
    • Local law association for each state that may have a referral service that can put you in touch with lawyers who work in migration matters, in some cases the first 15-30 mins are free. This may vary in each state so please check.
    • The Department of Immigration and Border Protection:
    • Contact Fonda Gazis, Leo Cussen Overseas Student Coordinator, for further advice and referrals.
      Email fgazis@leocussen.edu.au
      or phone 1300 039 031.
  • Do I need to complete an IELTS test to be eligible for the PLT?

    You are not required to take an IELTS test to enter the PLT.

  • What are the fees for Overseas Students?

    To view our most current list of fees please visit: